April 20, 2014

First CT Gun Owner Charged for Unregistered Assault Rifle -

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Hey, America, Have You Had Enough Yet? -

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Miss. SC OKs Open Carry

MS-Supreme-Court

(GunNews.com) — The Mississippi Supreme Court unanimously upheld the state’s open carry law 9-0 last week. The August 29 ruling allowing the law to take effect after a circuit judge’s order kept it on hold about two months.

In the ruling signed by Justice Randy Pierce, the opinion read, “This court now finds that the circuit judge erred as a matter of law when he found House Bill 2 to be vague and, therefore, unconstitutional. He also erred when he stated that a ‘reasonable person reading the bill could not discern what the law allows and what it prohibits.’”

Earlier this year, legislators passed and Gov. Phil Bryant signed the bill that says adults don’t need a permit to carry a gun that’s not concealed.

Several officials, including the Hinds County district attorney, sued to block the law. Circuit Judge Winston Kidd put the measure on hold just before it was to become law July 1.

Mississippi high court upholds open-carry gun law

Comments
6 Responses to “Miss. SC OKs Open Carry”
  1. irongrampa says:

It would be truly good if we in NY State could find some way to overturn the idiotic safe act (will NOT capitalize that thing) .

Also the requirement to submit to a background check for the purchase of ANY type ammunition. As I read the provisions, there are no exceptions made.

2. Bob Carroll says:

Here in NY State if you have a carry permit you may “open carry” anywhere but NYC. A few people got busted for carrying open and the judge through all the cases out. He told the NYS Police to “Learn the Law”. He also admonished them saying he will take the shield of the next trooper that brings in an open carry case.
    SAFE ACT UPDATE. There is a massive law suit in progress against King Cuomo declaring the act is both unconstitutional AND illegal. It was initiated by the NYS Rifle and Pistol Assoc. The suit was joined by the NRA, over 50 counties, the pistol clerks union, and the NYS Sheriffs Department. The court has been moving the date up every month since March. The next court date is September 12th. You can stay abreast of the law suit as it unfolds day to day here. http://www.nysrpa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=860&Itemid=199

3. dave says:

MS is leading the nation in constitutional application and justice in this. Keep and bear means just that, the 2nd amendment is the only “Permit” any citizen needs.

4. Bill says:

I still say this is a disaster waiting to happen in every state that approves open carry. None of these states are teaching anything but how to shoot at a paper target and the rules for carry but leaving out the most important basic skill needed: WEAPON RETENTION! When someone with the propensity to commit a crime sees someone wearing a firearm on their hip, said criminal has to simply catch the gun toting citizen unawares and simply remove the gun from the holster and now they, said criminal, has a firearm to commit the crime they have already thought about committing and there is nothing Mr./Ms. open carry can do about it because they have not been trained in how to keep someone from taking their weapon and in how to choose a holster that helps prevent an easy gun take-away. Hence, DISASTER.

• Bob Carroll says:

Bill, you are assuming an awful lot. You think nobody knows about “Weapon Retention” ? What story book did you get that from? Your statement, “said criminal has to simply catch the gun toting citizen unawares and simply remove the gun from the holster and now they, said criminal, has a firearm” I would like you to try to “simply” remove my gun. Your family will be going to a funeral! All NYS carry permits are for “CONCEALED CARRY”. I always, as 99% of licensees, always carry concealed. The element of surprise is a big factor. It is comforting to know that if the occasion rises that I may choose to open carry, such as during hunting season, or when it is 98º and I am wearing a tee-shirt, that I don’t have to go out of my way to hide my weapon. You obviously don’t have a clue. Don’t join with the pablum puking do gooders and mess with my second amendment right to self defense. You keep believing you can take away a permit holders weapon and the next time I see your dumb ass face will be at your funeral. Come and get it.

• Dale says:

You are an IDIOT!
      Show me ONE case in ANY STATE that allows open carry where someone with criminal intent overpowered a law abiding citizen and took said firearm and used it against them! No were in the 2nd amendment does it suggest that a citizen of the United States should be required to take a state sanctioned “class” before he/she can exercise their CONSTITUTIONALLY guarantied right to “…keep AND bear arms…”!

I’m all for training and classroom education for firearm owners, but where, when and how much should be left up to the individual! Personally, I am quite at ease when I see one or more of my friends/neighbors exercising their 2nd amendment rights!