July 22, 2014

T/C Arms Issues Safety Recall Notice for Icon, Venture, and Dimension Rifles

TC_Recall_June2013_Photo1_497

(GunNews.com) — Thompson/Center Arms has identified a condition that may cause the safety lever on certain Icon, Venture and Dimension rifles to bind, preventing the safety from becoming fully engaged.

In this situation, closing the bolt may move the safety to the fire position. The rifle will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. However, out of an abundance of caution, the company is taking this action to recall the rifles so that the firearm can be inspected by our technicians to ensure that the safety lever functions as designed. This recall applies to all Icon, Venture and Dimension rifles manufactured by Thompson/Center Arms prior to June 13, 2013. STOP USING YOUR RIFLE AND RETURN IT TO THOMPSON/CENTER AT ONCE. Thompson/Center Arms asks that you stop using your rifle until the company has had an opportunity to inspect the safety lever to ensure its proper function. To facilitate the inspection and repair, if necessary, of your rifle safety lever, please contact Thompson/Center’s customer service department to receive instructions and a pre-paid shipping label for the return of your rifle to Thompson/Center. Thompson/Center will repair the rifle at no cost to you, and return it to you as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you have any questions about this recall, please contact Thompson/Center at (800) 713-0355. See the recall notice

Comments
7 Responses to “T/C Arms Issues Safety Recall Notice for Icon, Venture, and Dimension Rifles”
  1. Chuck says:

Second recall!

My friend & I bought identical T/C Venture rifles for an elk hunt 3 years ago and before we went on the hunt there was a recall. Now there’s a second recall. Is T/C just more cautious than other rifle manufacturers or do their rifles have more problems?
    I took a poll at my shooting range of anyone who has sent a rifle back to the mfg’r due to a recall or noticed problem. Out of approx 400 rifles owned by those interviewed T/C : 12, Rem. : 6, Marlin, Savage : 3, Weatherby & Win. & Rem. : 2. Remington had a high number but that’s because there were sooo many Remingtons owned by this group however there were nearly the equal number of Savage rifles represented.
    In fairness, neither my nor my friend’s Venture had the recalled problem nor has either rifle malfunctioned (with a safety concern). The only problem that we’ve had is with the cheaply made detachable magazines. One out of our 4 mags broke and they are all difficult to remove from the rifle.

• Chuck says:

Addnedum to my post…………….. The first recall (Nov.2011) that I mentioned had to do with the rifle’s sear. The company warned that a condition with some sears may allow the rifle to fire w/o the trigger being pulled.
      P.S. I was in error when I said that the 1st recall was before our elk hunt. Our hunt was in Nov. of 2010 and the recall happened a year later.

2. Don says:

Sounds a lot like the I-Bolt, all over again. Thanks, I had been considering one of the “old” Icons. Thought it might be a good choice given what i have heard about the quality issues at Remington, as of late.These corporations put profit before quality, safety. They are running on a reputation that was built years ago. Sounds similar to RemLin, the new name of Marlin lever actions after Remington bought and took it over.Corporate short cuts for profit only hurt them in long run. By the time they realize this, everyone that “works” there has been laid off, there jobs boxed up and sent elsewhere. Just the suits, still taking their bonuses though. And a junk product, out of the overstock, that was stockpiled. While they “figure it out”. Who pays, the consumer.

3. Dody says:

I have a Venture Predator and a Dimension and both are fantastic shooters for the money! I have not had an issue and hate doing without either for a recall. My Dimension .243 is a .5 MOA rifle and amazes people that it shoots so well for the weight and money. I have had issues with several new Remingtons and that is what pushed me to try the T/Cs. After sending my last Remington back to Remington twice and still does not perform well….getting a bit disenchanted….

4. JR says:

Sounds like a big problem since TC was bought by Smith & Wesson… didn’t much have those problems before then.
    Also notice that Walther has been pulled from S&W, and is now being marketed through UMAREX in Arkansas.
    Walther still manufactures the S&W M&P22, [which has Umarex markings on them...???]

5. RangerAJ says:

I just went to the gun safe, picked up a TC Venture all weather in 30.06 and was shocked to find I was pushing the safety to UNSAFE every time I closed the bolt. There is a cutout on the bolt to clear the safety, the problem is my palm touching the safety lever when closing the bolt. In twenty tries, I managed to turn a rifle from safe to unsafe without trying to do so. The ergonomics of the bolt/safety are such that a person’s palm touches the safety and moves it forward to unsafe. This was bare handed inside. I would think that in the real world wearing hunting gloves it would probably be close to 100% that my gloved hand would hit the safety and move it to unsafe in closing the bolt. In my opinion this is a very real and valid safety issue.

6. Chuck says:

After leaving the original 2 comments I see several are deciding whether or not to buy a Venture based on the 2 recalls. I think that S&W – T/C are being very cautious. I’ve heard of not a single accident due to either safety recall.
    As far as the safety lever being accidently moved to “Fire” upon closing the bolt…………… does anyone NOT check their safety after doing anything with their bolt??? I even check the safety several times while hunting each and every day. My dad taught me to do that and I’ve taught my son to do the same. The safety switch is just a mechanism and mechanisms don’t always think for themselves. A branch or your hand could accidently flip the switch at any time w/o you knowing. THAT’S why I regularly check the safety switch.
    Please stay safe while target shooting or hunting. We 2nd amendment (& Constitution) supporters need all of you!!!